Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving or Black Friday: What's your Holiday?

Ok, so there seems to be a lot of social commentary out there right now about the whole Black Friday shopping day and the move by a lot of large chain retailers to open on Thanksgiving instead of waiting for Friday. There seems to be a lot of different viewpoints and of course as a business owner of a toy store I thought I would make a few comments.

First off, I personally think that everyone should stay at home and spend Thanksgiving Day with their family. Forget about the shopping to try to save some money. Saving money may be important but is it really more important to you than the time you have spent with your family? Which will your children remember more? That you saved $$$ on that “Hot” toy that they saw advertised on TV or that you spent Thanksgiving Day playing games with them and tucked them into bed that night? What are your priorities?

Now let me state here that Yes, Bee Active Toys will be open at 10pm on Thanksgiving night just like the other stores at Tanger Outlets. I know, I feel like a hypocrite for telling you to spend it with your family when I’m going to leave my family at 9pm to go to my store. Now before you start labeling me as one of those greedy retailers that is only in it for the money let me defend my position(if you are greedy, owning a toy store probably isn't the type of store to own).

I am opening for two reasons: First, I agreed to follow the mall hours for the benefit of all mall shoppers when I signed my lease and second, because even though I am the business owner, I too still have a boss and that boss is you, my customer. I know some of my customers actually want to be out there shopping at this time. Now, I am the store owner so I could just tell my employees that they have to work it while I stay at my home, but I’m not that type of boss. I believe the best way to lead is by example, (I also think that all the early openings would stop pretty quickly if the CEOS of the largest retailers had to work that Thanksgiving Night graveyard shift, but that probably isn’t going to happen,) so I am going to be there with my other staff members that volunteered to join me.

We are going to do our best, like we always do, to make sure that each customer has a great shopping experience at Bee Active Toys. In fact all of the staff is going to do that all day long on Black Friday like we do every day. We know our livelihood depends on your liking our product and the service that we give you in finding the right toy for your little girl or little boy. We take that very seriously. I like to think that is one of the differences between us as a locally owned toy store and one of the big box chain stores. We are serious about kids having the right toy and experiencing great playtime.

I'm also going to mention that there are a lot of other retail employees that are going to be working in stores everywhere that night. Give them a smile and say thank you to them when they do a good job and give you good service. They too are working because it is their job. Remember, they have lives and families as well.

This Thanksgiving, I’m thankful for my very caring and understanding family. I really am nothing without them. I’m thankful for a great staff that does great things at Bee Active Toys. Stop in for a fun break and let us show you some those great things. I’m also thankful for you, our customer. Without you Bee Active Toys is not possible.
This Thanksgiving don’t be in that big of a rush to get to the sales that you forget about the reason why you are celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas in the first place. We at Bee Active Toys will be here to help you with your Christmas shopping on Black Friday and each of the other 29 days before Christmas too.

No comments: